Saturday, February 21, 2009

Owl Spotlight, Raynae

I picked up crafting a long time ago when I was a wee girl because I get horrible cases of the wiggles. Seriously, I'm super fidgety. I can't even just watch TV. I'm either working on a blanket, some knitting, some paper crafting, doing impromptu yoga in the living room or bouncing constantly on my pilates ball. I think that's why I'm not 300 lbs because I also eat crap. Junk food crap, that is. My diet usually consists of chocolate, some form of fruit-type candy and lots of bread. Anywho, my Mom started buying me those crafting kits when I was really little. I made ornaments out of felt, leather jewelry, characters that were supposed to stand somewhere in your house, tons of stuff. I used to make those braiding keychains out of the plastic string... I can't remember what they were called, but I know everyone who was a kid in the 90s made them. They were cool. Every time I pass that section in the kids' stuff in Michael's, I still want to get some of it. :)

Now it's developed into something of a habit. I take my crafting traveling with me, I take it to work so I can craft during my lunch break, and, of course, I'm always crafting at home. And I'm always working on several things at once because, of course, I get bored very easily, and I have to have other projects to work on so I actually finish something. Right now, I'm working on binding a book, crocheting an afghan for my hubby, knitting socks for my hubby, making random things with my
Cricut and I'm testing out some ideas for expanding my shop. That way there's always something I can be working on. The socks for my hubby were supposed to be a Christmas present, but I underestimated the time it took to make them. I have one done!

So that's really the way I run in every day. I have tons of stuff going on at one time and I'm super fidgety. It works for me. :) My husband is incredibly supportive about my habit, and he'll even go with me on trips to Michael's/Joann's. I think he knows me better than I know myself sometimes because he'll suggest things to me in the store, and it's usually like, "Wow. That is absolutely perfect. Why didn't I think of that?" He's the one who suggested I get a
Cricut. That was the most amazing decision of my crafting life, so far. :) Oh, and in my free time, I also like dressing up my dog and cat. I love being an Owl!



Rayna's various crafting adventures can be found in her Etsy shop. She was the winner of our February Valentine's challenge Recently, she caved into peer pressure and launched a (quite awesome) blog. Check it out, she's really funny!

7 comments:

J-Mi said...

Rayna, I'm the same way about crafting! Right now I'm working on my laptop sleeve (which I will probably be working on for the rest of my life), a pair of legwarmers, a pair of gloves, and a scarf. :)

I also have a full sized afghan I've been crocheting since I was like 9. :)

I made Cricut a link because I had to look it up. I still don't get it, wanna tell me what it is?

Unknown said...

OMG! The lanyards! I used to make those too! That and those little plastic boards that you put the rubber pegs on to make a picture and then you would iron it and they would all melt together... am I making sense? LOL

J-Mi said...

I made none of that stuff. lol.

I used to make knotted bracelets out of embroidery thread or crochet cotton, and I always had those jewelry kits. In high school I carried around beads and/or crochet in my backpack. :)

amypanda said...

What a lovely spotlight :) I worry sometimes that the crafting I did as a youngster showed much more patience than the things I make now! The little knotted friendship bracelets were so complex and yet I seemed to just sit and happily make hundreds. Now I need a tv in front of me to knit anything and I constantly loose count of where I am

linda said...

i'm doing all that kind of stuff with my kids now and i love it - its a great excuse!... xx :)

raynae said...

Hey, ya'll! A Cricut is the most awesomest die-cutting machine on the planet. It is powered with cartridges that contains hundreds of different options for cutting stuff out. When I got it, I took a bunch of pictures of the random stuff I cut out, but I just posted it today. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. :) If you want to check out the pictures, Cricut can do some pretty amazing things!

http://howcomealltheotherunicornsaredead.blogspot.com/

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

Ha! My husband is trying to keep track of how much of his life he has spent waiting at Jo-Anns.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails