Saturday, February 28, 2009
Friday, February 27, 2009
And my positive experience with doing consignment with the store led me to consider doing consignment with the gallery above it. In November of 2008, for the first time in my life, I saw my own paintings in a gallery, next to other artists, and I got to see them sell with great enthusiasm! What a rush! It’s been so much fun and so rewarding that I plan on setting out to do more local consignment (and maybe outside of the area too, any takers?!).
If you are ever in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, be sure to check out my goods and the rest of the awesome store that is UnderWired! Tell Lisa that la la la sent you!
Some of my little owl paintings at UnderWired
Some of my jewelry on display at UnderWired
Thursday, February 26, 2009
March 18th will mark my one-year anniversary on Etsy. It has been a lot of fun for me create for other people. I have learned a lot, my creativity has been challenged, and my crafting skills honed. Who knew I would be sewing owls of all kinds to ship around the globe?!?
I also plan on participating in the OWLS challenge this March. Hoot hoot!
A few things about me
My shop name comes from one of my favorite paintings by Marc Chagall.
I seriously studied ballet and dance.
In college I worked at a rubber-stamp company - so sweet!
In Alaska I got seriously addicted to beading - my crafting soul mate taught me how to bead (with the tiny seed beads) and skin-sew.
I could eat asparagus all day - and chocolate-chip cookies (homemade).
I married my high school sweetheart and we have 3 kids - soon to be 4!
Get to know Zemphira by following her on Twitter @zemphira
Monday, February 23, 2009
Woo, Click this to check out the article!
Their blog articles include highlights of team shops, a series of shop advice columns where they blog about useful tools and info for Etsy sellers, Etsy events, team sales, and other info. It's a very useful resource, check it out!
Also, as a bit of a side note, the Etsy Supply Street Team is like Etsy supply heaven... they have so many great things. If you're looking for some craft supplies, throw in their team tag with your search to get some great shops!
(By the way, PiratesDreamofPearls is a co-op destash shop made up of PresentsforPirates, suenosdejmi, and KnitandPearl )
Sunday, February 22, 2009
1. #391, 2. Midsummer Collar flower close up 1000, 3. Chimerical Flowers ... Freeform Crochet Necklace, 4. Untitled, 5. WIP necklace #2a, 6. Felt Owl Necklace, 7. Psych Sixties - A Fiber Art Pendant 02, 8. wool necklace, 9. felt necklace no. 004
Many of those artists have Etsy shops as well so you may want to check out their Flickr profiles for the link!
I've recently purchased my first batch of roving from Copperpot on Etsy. It's this same batch of merino right here and the picture doesn't do justice for how lovely it is. It feels like heaven, I just want to moosh my face in it all day! I got it to do some felting onto one of my chiffon silk scarves which I will be listing as soon as it's finished. It's coming along slowly but surely. But since 4 oz is far more than enough for my scarf, (and at the best price I could find on Etsy!) I am inspired by all that fantastic fiber art jewelry to make a piece of my own. I've used fibers in my pieces before ( I love mixing media) but not as the main component, and I can't wait to get started. When I am finished I'll be posting about it on my blog, Tabmade, so stayed tuned!
Tab can be found and followed in a variety of places. Other than her main shop, Tabmade, she's also recently opened up TheUnderstory, which features some of her gorgeous photography! She also has a blog (click the link above in her article) and can be found on Twitter @Tabmade
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Now it's developed into something of a habit. I take my crafting traveling with me, I take it to work so I can craft during my lunch break, and, of course, I'm always crafting at home. And I'm always working on several things at once because, of course, I get bored very easily, and I have to have other projects to work on so I actually finish something. Right now, I'm working on binding a book, crocheting an afghan for my hubby, knitting socks for my hubby, making random things with my Cricut and I'm testing out some ideas for expanding my shop. That way there's always something I can be working on. The socks for my hubby were supposed to be a Christmas present, but I underestimated the time it took to make them. I have one done!
So that's really the way I run in every day. I have tons of stuff going on at one time and I'm super fidgety. It works for me. :) My husband is incredibly supportive about my habit, and he'll even go with me on trips to Michael's/Joann's. I think he knows me better than I know myself sometimes because he'll suggest things to me in the store, and it's usually like, "Wow. That is absolutely perfect. Why didn't I think of that?" He's the one who suggested I get a Cricut. That was the most amazing decision of my crafting life, so far. :) Oh, and in my free time, I also like dressing up my dog and cat. I love being an Owl!
Rayna's various crafting adventures can be found in her Etsy shop. She was the winner of our February Valentine's challenge Recently, she caved into peer pressure and launched a (quite awesome) blog. Check it out, she's really funny!
Friday, February 20, 2009
i was initially thinking i would share a photo of my studio and why sometimes it's hard for me to get projects done, but then i remembered how embarrassed my sweet little husband gets when people see what a hellish sty we live in. packrat? no. i just really love stuff. did any of you see that special on TLC about hoarders? john almost couldn't watch it because i'm pretty sure he's certain i'm about 10 years and 37 umbrellas away from that.
quick! five things you didn't know you didn't know about me:
i am a gocco virgin.
i loathe closed toe shoes.
i was the editor of my high school literary magazine.
i own three old typewriters, two digital cameras, six polaroid cameras, four 35mm cameras. and a camera phone. (i told you, i love stuff!)
my favorite food is green chile.
five things you might know about me:
i am a leo.
i want babies. soon.
i eat peanut butter like it's going out of style.
i would never want to be a pilot.
i collect blank notebooks.
five things you should know about me:
i am the messiest control freak you know.
i will tell you why the way you're driving is wrong and bothering me.
i love and collect all things piratey.
i discriminate against no paper.
i am ridiculously sensitive sometimes.
i work as a loan coordinator during the day and even then i constantly find myself writing sticky notes to myself about ideas for craft projects. i love the idea of trying to do something creative everyday, but sometimes by the time i come home from work, i'm just tired. i did make this in an attempt to not a) lose all my sticky notes and 2) lose all my ideas.
my new goal for this year is to be craftier more often and get involved more with the etsy community. here's hopefully the first step in the right direction!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Absurdities. My life in one way or another has always revolved around the absurdities. It started young when i was a child... My mother was always laughing at the most obscure things. I think it stemmed from a British heritage and too much alcohol. Perhaps it came for her from a creative mind and a cold climate. I remain unsure of the roots but it runs deep.
As a youngling i noted that i was different in that, "um, what ARE you doing?!" kind of way. Perhaps it was wearing a witches costume or cowgirl costume to school in March or February and not getting why it was an issue.Often, art was my outlet for this affinity with the absurd. I began drawing when i was able to hold a crayon, crocheting and knitting in my pre-teen years and sewing with an old metal Elna when i was 11. Painting became art therapy for me when i was in my late teens and early twenties. To this day, if i don't create something each and every day, i go a little crazy. There really is a very FINE line between creative intellect and complete madness.
Back to the absurdities now... One of the fantastic things about relishing the absurdities in life is that life has a way of feeding you extremely unique situations if you simply choose to notice the opportunities of the absurd. Like this:
Yes, the absurdities is where i am most comfortable. They have allowed me to play accordion on stage while dressed as a giant broccoli, to tattoo my own leg with no previous experience in tattooing, to work with an Elvis impersonator and to meet some brilliant people. When people ask me where i get my inspiration to create, i tell them i find it in the absurdities. The absurd allows my brain to wander free of many constraints as i know my thoughts aren't too crazy or the world wouldn't present us with these absurdities.
Squarejane is one of our newer Owls, and definitely keeps us on our toes! Her Etsy shop is full of creations that reflect her unique energy and spirit, such as Ernst who is pictured on the right. In addition to her Etsy shop, she can also be found on her blog or can be found occasionally on Twitter @squarejane
Saturday, February 14, 2009
"Staring at the pattern of the
flecks was dizzying. Staring at it
for a long time was hypnotizing."
--Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief
because I LOVE ORCHIDS!
Every year the Missouri Botanical Garden (www.mobot.org) hosts an orchid show. I got into photographing the show in 2006 when I had become really burned out on shooting portraits--which was all I was doing for my senior portfolio as I was graduating college. I went to the show not really knowing what to expect from myself, having never used a macro lens and not particularly caring about the subject.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
I always feel self-centered when tooting my own horn. So here I am, In the spotlight. It’s a little bright, but I think I can handle it!
My Name is Alisa Marie of LOVEALISA and I joined these OWLS for a couple of reasons:
(This is no particular order):
- I love owls.
- I was new to ETSY, and wanted to feel connected in this big ETSY world.
- I needed sales (When I joined the OWLS, I had 6 sales in as many months).
- I’m a little off the wall (my husband might say nerd…)
- Reasons I LOVE being on the OWLS team:
- I still love owls.
- I have so many fantastic artists and ETSY experts that are so willing to give me advice and bounce creative energy off of.
- Since December, I’ve have had 20 sales, and 4 custom orders! Is it due to the OWLS? (Well, you can’t deny the actuaries.)
- These girls are truly off-the-wall, and so much fun.
- I found friends.
I know those 25 Random Facts are going around blogs and facebook, I thought I would use that as a basis for you all to get to know me and my shop here in the spotlight!
Facts about my Shop and my craftyness:
- ETSY has fine tuned my ability to complete projects. (see my closet at my mom’s house for the boneyard of forgotten and abandoned craft projects.)
- I like making lists (as you can tell)
- I am a complete and total nerd.
- I made my family member’s tote bags and jersey scarves for Christmas. It was the first time I used a sewing machine.
- I have been saving up for a sewing machine.
- My husband says that I can use some of our tax return to supplement the rest of my sewing machine fund!!!! I GET A SEWING MACHINE!
- I plan on geeking up my shop. This includes more: Geometry , Pi jokes, formulas, computer disks, binary code… and so on.
- I plan on getting boy stuff up in my shop: I have entirely too much girly baby stuff. But recently a lot of my friends have baby boys and are asking what a made for their boys.
- I plan on expanding my embroidery in my shop: so much I am hoping to expand my products to adult scarves and other embroidered projects
- I have a few items in my jewelry section, but I will probably stop selling them and take them down when they expire, so I can focus on more fabrics.
- I get my creativity from my mom but my precision and math skills from my engineering dad.
- I will probably be fine tuning my shop to get my best products out there.
- I teach Math. For Junior Highers.
- I tend to procrastinate……. Ok, you got me, I have perfected the art of procrastination.
- I watched all six Star Wars movies in one day (see #3 above)
- I follow ashton kutcher and demi moore on twitter, and I don't really know why... but I can't bring myself to un-follow.
- I love to talk to newscasters like they are my friends (this includes local and national) example: I truly believe that Chuck Todd and I would be best friends if we ever met.
- I am NOT crazy (see #5)
- My husband and I are high school sweethearts. (no pets and no kids yet).
- Every Friday night is "Chipotle Night" with my Tad. Even the manager at Chipotle knows this and gives me a great big “HELLO HOW ARE YOU!” Then she asks what salsa i want. (I suspect she already knows.)
- I passed the algebra/number theory & geometry/stats CSETS (each is a four hour standards test), which I'm quite proud of. What makes me MORE proud is that I did that with out paying for ANY books/classes/kits/tutoring. Just free on line sources.
- When I leave on a long trip, I always have to gas up on pump #8 or suffer a hardship along the way.
- I hate cleaning. I hated cleaning my room. In college in order to curb this hatred, my roomies and I made up a special Cleanest Roomie Award complete with an old bowling trophy. And every month our RD would come and judge out respective areas.
- I married a clean freak (see #10).
- I have a etsy, a blog, a twitter a facebook, but I refuse to get a myspace.
Alisa Marie McPherson
Alisa is the heart and soul behind LoveAlisa where she makes gorgeous onesies for baby as well as sweet bookmarks perfect for your favorite sweetheart! She can also be found on blogger or on Twitter @lovealisa
Monday, February 9, 2009
Well, this frenzy, I decided to try and pace myself, and list one item once a day, and keep crafting to stay an item ahead, so there will always be something to list the next day. Doing this helps with exposure because every day you get a new item in the huge pile that is the Etsy search engine (which is by default listed by newest items first)
So, I got on a crafting binge and made a purse and two scarves within a few days of each other. I took pictures of two of them and listed the first item on this past Friday, which was this awesome blue and red-orange scarf pictured above! I was so excited to get something listed, AND I still had a purse and another scarf left to list!
Saturday's listing was another scarf, the one pictured on the right, a soft, plushie mix of green and purple with some awesomely thick fringe on the ends. Though definitely not as cool as the first scarf, I still like it.
I'm so in love with these gloves, and they furthered my quest to keep listing 1 item a day until I fail. :) At this point, since I added an extra item, I still had a purse and a scarf to list.
Today's item was the purse, the really cool retro granny square bag pictured stage right. I still have another scarf to list tomorrow, and am working on another scarf right now that I hope to finish tomorrow evening...but the ultimate question is How long can I keep this up???
Wish me luck!
The voice behind suenosdejmi is Jamie. She's a 20-something who loves yarn and crocheting scarves...tons and tons of scarves. Aside from making scarves, she's also part of dreambirdphotos where she sells her pictures she took in Spain and other photo items and piratesdreamofpearls where she sells destash supplies. She's also one of the admins for Etsy Owls. You can find her on her own blog here or on Twitter at jmilovesowls
Thanks for reading!
Thursday, February 5, 2009
This screenshot is from Craft's Digital Edition and is edited with our three members circled.
Visit their Etsy shops:
Sunday, February 1, 2009
The entries are shown below, and each have links to their listings on Etsy. Vote for your favorite in the poll over on the left hand side of the screen. Please note that only votes in the poll will be counted, comments do not count as votes! Thanks for visiting, and Happy Valentine's Day from the Etsy Owls Street Team!
Lalala08's Owl Love Notes
Jonikay52's After the Rain 8x10 Photograph
WeiOpenSecret's Emergency Valentines
RaynaE's Unicorn Rainbow Barf Candy Bag
Suenosdejmi's Ribbon Bracelet