Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Stellar Seller: TjTUnraveled

This week's Stellar Seller is TjTUnraveled, who makes gorgeous handdyed yarn. She was nominated by KnitandPearl who has purchased from her several times and always turns out fantastic things with her yarn! Read the interview below, and visit her shop and her blog.

Tell us & the Etsy world a bit about you, anything you'd like to share...

I am a substitute school teacher and I have been knitting since I was 12 years old. I have 2 Etsy stores, tjtunraveled, and tjtdesign.

How did you meet Etsy? Was it love at first sight?

I started on Etsy in 2007 when my husbands co-worker told me about the site. I love to knit and I wanted a place I could sell all of the pieces I started to collect. There are only so many knitted gifts you can give to your friends and family. I loved the community feel of Etsy and how easy it was to get started. I still get exited with each piece I sell.

How did you get into dying yarn and what inspires you to create the colorways you do?

After about a year, I was searching for another outlet for my creative side. I had been interested in opening up a new store and I was researching hand-dyed yarn. I thought about how I could connect the two stores together. Tjtunraveled came from the idea that it is a deconstructed version of my knitting store. My husband is such a driving force for the yarn store. He went to school for art and has such a wonderful eye and color palate. I am always going to him to work out ideas and come up with new shades to use. I also love when people ask me for special request colorways. I get requests for colorways based on a mood, or a place someone has visited. I have even gotten requests for colorways based on baby clothes and diaper covers. I often use those colorways again in my store for general sale.

I am inspired by the natural world around me as well as my love for knitting. When I come up with new colorways, I am always imagining how the colors would look in a scarf or other accessories. I think that perspective helps me come up with some wild colorways. I love when I re-skein the yarn after dying and seeing how the colors look together.

Describe yourself in 1 word:

If I had to describe myself in one word I think it would be organized. I am constantly working out new projects while juggling work, knitting, my dog Otis, and many other things.

Tell us your favorite:

I really don't have a favorite saying or word...My favorite color is blue and my favorite book is 1984 by George Orwell. It is what made me want to go into Sociology for my undergraduate work. I don't really have a favorite holiday either, but I love the winter. There is something about the cold and rain that I just love. That is why Oregon will always be my home.

I think all of my customers that sell on Etsy are my favorite sellers. I love to see what they create with my yarn. KnitandPearl is one of those stores. She creates such beautiful and unique pieces I am a little jealous of her work! Artisanimpact is another great Etsy store. Their pieces are just gorgeous!



2 comments:

J-Mi said...

I just want to snuggle up with that Etsy mini...

*drools*

Unknown said...

Oh I love this chick!!! :)

She has the best yarn and most unique colorways!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails