Friday, May 29, 2009

Owl Spotlight: IckyDogCreations

My Grandpa was always such a crafty fellow. He could make something out of nothing and loved using found objects (halved walnut shells as scary fingernails on a giant hand, pistaccio shells as weird little singing faces . . .). My favorite of his creations were his watch sculptures. He would take apart watches and use the gears and springs and whatnot to create intricate sculptures of trains, motorcycles, and castles. I was in awe of the detail. (and I wish I had some pics to share!)


When my Grandpa died, he left all of his watches and watch parts to me. They sat in my basement for the longest time. I had no idea what to do with them. Then one day, about 3 months ago, I decided to try my hand at making a watch train. How hard could it be, right? Um, HARD. I tried and tried, to no avail. And it didn't help that I was trying to hold the pieces together using a glue gun (FYI: glue guns = not a good choice for gluing metal!). I was disappointed. I was annoyed. Heck, I was angry! My hubby, not wanting me to be in a fowl mood (probably a good thing - I tend to cuss like a sailor when I'm mad!) suggested we buy some epoxy to try. He also suggested to make something other than a train (since it obviously wasn't working out).
So I started with an owl. Some of the gears reminded me of the eyes of a great horned owl. And he turned out pretty cute! I was digging through the pieces and noticed one reminded me of a hummingbird. So I made one. Another piece looked like a dragon head, a robot, a cat . . . and so started my watch sculpting.


And the epoxy works much better than a glue gun!
This is the latest owl I'm working on. You can see others in my etsy store!


Ickydogcreations, sometimes known in the real world as Cami, is one of our newer Owls, jumping on board in the last few months. She's taken to us quickly, and has found she fits right in! Get to know her better, by checking out her blog and also by visiting her Etsy shop




2 comments:

Alisa Marie said...

what an awesome story Cami! Your grandpa sounds like a superb person! What a legacy!!!!

Holly! said...

Your sculptures are awesome. Your grandpa would be so proud of you :).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails