Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Stellar Seller: Hotlegs

This week's Stellar Seller is Hotlegs, who took your plain old draft stopper and gave it a radical makeover! Talk about conversation pieces! She was nominated by LuckyTwentyOne, who bought one of these wild body parts for her very own!




In addition to Hotlegs, she also has trixiedelicious where teacups go wild! Check out her interview and visit her shops! Also, check her out on her blog Vandalized Vintage

Tell us and the Etsy world a bit about you, anything you'd like to share...

I’m a full time crafter and former sculptor and I live in Auckland City New Zealand with my hubby and two teenage children.

How did you meet Etsy? Was it love at first sight?

I first read about Etsy in Readymade magazine and thought it was the place for me and started my first shop trixiedelicious
This was back when there were only 45,000 shops not 200,000 like today.
The first few months nothing really happened and I nearly gave up on it.
It was a slower marketplace back then and obviously had a smaller audience. Most of the buyers were other sellers and I did a bit of trading just to create feedback and get my stuff out there.
Hotlegs is a new project that came out of making fabric stuff to sell at a market and a way of recycling old clothing and fabric around the house. It is nice to work in a different material and have a rest from vintage china.

How did you get into making what you make?

Making things is a natural thing for me starting with the sandpit when I was about 2 years old. Both my parents made a living from making things- my Dad had a sail making and canvas goods business in the 70s. He even designed his own tents and trailer awnings for campers.
My mum was a seamtress and worked making samples for various designers around town. She got her training making the sleepwear and underwear of the 60s with all the structure, satin and lace which is so fashionable now.

Describe yourself in 1 word:

Tenacious

Do you have a favorite:

song or musical artist/group?


My life has a continuous soundtrack so it’s hard to choose one artist but I would have to say Bowie is my all time fave followed by the Rolling Stones. Debbie Harry from Blondie is my style icon.

painting or photograph/painter or photographer

Warhol, Niki de Sainte Phalle, Dali ,Damien Hirst. I love the pop art and surrealism art movements

book and/or author?

I really enjoy biographies- Keith Richards by Victor Bockris is a good one.

dessert? Chocolate things- Tiramisu is great!

Etsy seller?
Just one? Curster, Mandinka, and locally Toggle- the record cushions are fantastic.






3 comments:

Look Left Karen said...

Trixie Delicious Rocks!...and hotlegs are the best...I have one and it is up on my wall, far too fabulous for the floor!

Unknown said...

LMAO! Those teacups are to die for!! I feel like I need all of them!

I just love pretty insults :)

Andrea Tedford said...

i'm a huge fan of hotlegs! way to go, karen!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails